About Treatment Centers
It’s rare that an individual can overcome addiction
without professional help. If an individual chooses to go it alone, he or she may experience sobriety for a time but will likely end up relapsing at some point. Drug treatment centers not only help the individual get clean, they teach men and women how to maintain their sobriety for the rest of their lives. The following is a look at the different types of drug treatment centers in the United States and what occurs inside these lifesaving facilities.
Residential Drug Addiction Treatment Centers
When an individual has a serious addiction to drugs, they need comprehensive professional help. A residential treatment center provides that care – and more – to the individual in recovery whose life has been thrown into chaos as a result of drug addiction. With residential drug addiction treatment
, the individual moves into a rehab facility full time for an extended period of time.
During this time, the individual takes part in detox, counseling, aftercare and other programs designed to help them heal in mind, body and spirit. Although it would seem as if residential rehab is the obvious choice for care, there are a number of factors men and women should consider before signing on for treatment.
Pros of Residential Drug Rehab:
- Round-the-clock care from treatment professionals
- Amenities such as private rooms and gourmet meals
- Peripheral programs to enhance wellness, including yoga, exercise, meditation, etc.
- Special attention paid to the privacy of the individual
- Removes the individual from a harmful environment and places them in a safe, positive one.
Cons of Residential Drug Rehab
- Too expensive for many families to afford
- Located in remote areas that are often far from the individual’s home
- Difficult to leave behind responsibilities as head of household in order to enter treatment
Outpatient Drug Rehabilitation Centers
For those individuals who simply cannot afford to put their lives on hold in order to enter residential drug rehab, there are outpatient treatment facilities. At an outpatient drug rehabilitation center
, the individual attends treatment during the day. That leaves them free to be with family, friends or other members of their support network during off hours. It is important to note, however, that outpatient rehab is not for everyone. Consider the following pros and cons of outpatient addiction treatment.
Pros of Outpatient Rehab:
- Costs less than residential drug treatment
- Allows the individual to maintain a presence at work or school
- Allows the individual to be near family and friends
- Usually conveniently located in metropolitan areas
Cons of Outpatient Rehab:
- Not the appropriate choice for those with more serious addictions
- Leaves those recovering from a drug addiction to their own devices in what could be a harmful environment
- Less privacy than a residential treatment center
Specific Types of Drug Rehab Facilities
To help meet the needs of certain types of individuals, there are niche drug treatment centers. The most common of these types of facilities include:
- Teen drug treatment. Teen programs help young people break the addiction cycle before it threatens to destroy their future. These rehab centers deal exclusively with the reasons why young people turn to drugs, including peer pressure, self-image issues and problems in the home. Teens are surrounded with other teens in recovery so they can easily relate to their peers.
- Drug treatment for women. Women become addicted to drugs for reasons that are different than those found in men. Women’s rehab centers offer gender-specific care that speak to these core issues and offer women a safe place to heal.
Getting a Loved One Into Drug Treatment
- Dual diagnosis drug treatment. This type of treatment helps individuals with co-occurring mental illness and addiction issues through an integrated program that includes rehab treatment and psychiatric care.
- Holistic drug treatment. Holistic treatment incorporates elements of traditional holistic healing with mainstream, modern treatment modalities. In holistic care, patients might be offered yoga, acupuncture, nutritional counseling and meditation.
If someone you love is struggling with addiction, you may be only way they will ever see the inside of a drug treatment center. But how do you get that individual into rehab? First, it is recommended that you talk to that person, openly and honestly, about their condition. Discuss some of the signs of addiction you have seen in them as well as your concerns about their overall health.
If that does not garner the desired results, it may be necessary to hold an intervention. A drug intervention is a meeting in which family and friends gather together to confront the individual about the seriousness of their problem – illustrating how the addiction is impacting the lives of those around them. It is recommended that a professional interventionist be brought in to make sure everything goes smoothly and that the individual is taken to a drug treatment facility immediately following the meeting.
If you’d like more information on drug treatment for yourself or your loved one, contact us today. We are here to help.