Effective Treatment that Works
While every drug abuse treatment center
sets out to help its patients break the cycle of addiction and live the healthiest life possible, some facilities achieve this goal with greater regularity than others. So what is it that makes an effective drug treatment program? The following is a look at all the core elements that must be in place in order for a drug rehab program to rise to the top of its industry.
Cutting-Edge Methods and Effective Addiction Treatment
The best drug rehab programs
are those that are always seeking out and employing the latest findings in the field of addiction treatment. Advances are constantly being made in addiction therapy and the most successful rehab centers are always learning about and implementing these new modalities. In particular, there has been a great deal of research in the recent years concerning the brain and how it controls addiction (and vice-versa). More and more top treatment centers are using brainwave measurement tools to help pinpoint the specific problems of their patients and provide the most effective treatment for these individuals.
Holistic Care as Part of Successful Drug Rehab
It is not only modern techniques that help drug rehab centers
effectively treat those suffering from drug addiction; there is also an element of traditional wellness to the most comprehensive programs. It is has become commonplace for addiction treatment centers to incorporate holistic care into their treatment plans – right alongside detox
, counseling and aftercare. These holistic elements include yoga and meditation – both of which help the individual shut out distractions and “noise” in their lives so they may focus more intently on recovery. In addition, some facilities may also include acupuncture, nutritional counseling and exercise as a means of naturally uplifting the mind, body and spirit of the individual.
Comprehensive Approach to Treatment
The most notable drug rehab programs take a comprehensive approach to treatment that includes processes addressing both the physical and psychological components of addiction. Those in recovery will encounter the core programs of detox, counseling and aftercare at most treatment centers, in addition to complementary therapies that may vary according to the facility in question.
- Detox. Drug addiction detox helps the individual overcome their physical addiction to drugs. This is achieved by having the individual stop their intake of drugs so the body can purge itself of the harmful toxins found in illicit substances. During detox, the individual may experience a number of withdrawal symptoms – side effects that cause discomfort as the body adjusts to the lack of drugs. There are certain medications that can be given by medical professionals to alleviate these withdrawal symptoms.
- Counseling. For most people suffering from addiction, the most important element of addiction treatment is counseling. Counseling and therapy are the means by which the individual confronts the reasons why they turn to drugs at times of change, stress, depression or anxiety. Through counseling, therapists are able to work closely with the individual to help develop better life and decision-making skills that will keep the patient sober for the months and years following treatment. There are three primary forms of counseling: individual, group and family therapy. Most individuals will participate in a combination of these types during their treatment. They may also participate in experiential therapy that focuses on experiences rather than traditional talk therapy.
- Aftercare. The final element of any effective drug rehab program is aftercare. Aftercare programs help the individual make an even transition into daily life as a sober person. There are a number of different types of aftercare, each of which helps the individual cope with the stress and temptation of daily life in different ways. These programs include:
- 12-step groups. Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) are two examples of 12-step groups that give individuals in recovery a reliable place to go when they need support or encouragement. There are NA and AA meetings all over the country, available at various times throughout the day and night.
- Follow-up counseling. Many people in recovery will return to the treatment facility after their formal treatment program is complete. These follow-up counseling sessions keep the recovering individual focused on their long-term sobriety and help to deal with unique situations and struggles as they occur.
- Sober living. Moving back into one’s daily life can be a challenge for the individual in recovery. Sober living is a place where individuals can live while they get their “sea legs” back emotionally and financially. While living at a sober living home, the individual is asked to share responsibilities around the house and follow a strict set of house rules and guidelines designed to keep everyone safe.
The Importance of Effective Drug Addiction Treatment
As long as there are drug rehab facilities willing to go further in their efforts to help addicted men and women, there will always be hope for those with a dependency or substance abuse problem. Even while researchers seem to discover new ways of overcoming drug addiction, effective drug rehab programs remain the gold standard. Although these programs don’t have a 100-percent success rate, they focus their continued efforts to help men and women overcome drug addiction, and they boast thousands of recovery stories each year. Many families owe the lives of their loved ones to these facilities and their tireless efforts.
If you think it’s time to get effective drug addiction treatment for you or someone you love, take action today. Pick up the phone and contact us at our toll-free number for more help.